Why do crystals and minerals need to be cleansed? Crystals and minerals need to be cleansed because they hold both positive and negative energy. For example: you have a new stone, you want to show your friend, and while they are holding and looking at it the stone absorbs their energy from the day (whether they are having a “good” day or a “bad” day, the energy can transfer to the crystal). The crystal will naturally absorb whatever kind of energy that you or they are sending out. Keep in mind when you are in a store like Earth Lore and the stones are picking you, that people have previously touched the stones and that they may be carrying negative or positive energies from other people, which will inhibit the stone from transmitting its pure energy. This is especially true for dark or black stones. Most of these stones are used to help us with protection, so they absorb the negative energy instead of us. These stones should be cleansed often.
There are many traditions and rituals that work with cleansing stones. Here are a few basic ideas that I have tried and they work:
- Smudging: Using white sage, hold the stone in the smoke-stream of the sage while saying a prayer or affirmation, with the intention for the stone to be cleansed and all negative energy to be removed. Smudging is a Native American ritual that cleanses negative energy, from self, objects and home.
- Sea Salt and Water: Sea salt has a masculine energy or yang/positive charge. Water has a feminine energy or yin/negative charge. When the two are combined, it creates a neutral charge transmuting negative energy to positive. Use a pinch of sea salt to two cups purified water. Soak your stone(s) for 1-12 hours; listen to your intuition as to when the stones are done. Some people recommend burying the stones in sea salt without water. This is too harsh for crystals, and can eat away their etheric energy. (editor’s note: A few stones react badly to saltwater – never use this method on any opalized stone or chrysocolla).
- Brown Rice: Brown rice is neutral in charge. Bury the stones in uncooked brown rice, for 1-12 hours. Remove the stones and you can eat the supercharged rice when you are done. It will not absorb any negative energy.
- Breath: Using the power of intention and your breath can quickly cleanse any stone. Cup the stone in your hand (this method is best used one stone at a time), say a prayer or affirmation with the intention for the stone to be cleansed and all negative energy to be removed. As you inhale, visualize white light coming filling your lungs, hold the crystal close to your mouth and with a forceful exhale blow all of the negative energy out of the crystal using the white light.
- Running Water: One of the quickest cleansing methods to use. While saying a prayer or affirmation with the intention for the stone to be cleansed and all negative energy to be removed, hold the stone(s) under running water visualizing the negative energy washing away. Faucets will work if need be.
- Stones that never need to be cleansed: Currently there are 14 stones that never need to be cleansed. Earth Lore carries 3 of these, for the others see Melody’s Book “Love is in the Earth, a Kaleidoscope of Crystals”. These three are Citrine, Kyanite, and Selenite. So if you have one of these you can place it in a bowl or talisman with your stones that need to be cleansed, (Citrine, Kyanite and Selenite will naturally absorb the negative energy before the other stones do, or draw the negative energy from the stones). If you have three or more stones you can make a crystal array or crystal grid by surrounding the stones that need to be cleansed with the stones that never need to be cleansed.
Just one little reminder when you are doing cleansing of any kind, intentionally send the negative energy to the earth to be transmuted to positive energy. This way the negative energy does not hang around and wait for something else to stick to.