In Sanskrit calligraphy, the mystic symbol Om is the symbolic representation of Brahman (the Hindu creator of the Universe). It is described in the Upanishads (one of the most sacred of Hindu texts) as the sound that creates and sustains the cosmos. It is said that the entire Universe (past, present, and future) is encompassed by its utterance. The Om is comprised of the three sounds of A, U, and M. These sounds are thought to represent the three prominent Hindu gods who control the wheel of life: Brahma, Vishnu, and Shiva. These three gods also symbolize the three human states of dreaming, sleeping, and waking, and the three human capacities of desire, knowledge, and action.
Om is used as a mantra in meditation and alternative healing practices such as Crystal Therapy, Sound Healing, Reiki, and Healing Touch. It is the pinnacle sound in sacred ceremonies and practices of various religions such as: Hinduism, Buddhism, and Sufism.
The Om is a Universal sound and symbol of peace. You can use its utterance and symbolic presence to enhance all areas of your life! Here are some examples of ways you can incorporate this masterful symbol/sound into your life now:
- Meditate using The Eternal Om, a CD available at Earth Lore!
- Place an Om symbol on the front door of your home or office. It will bring peace to all who enter! It will also radiate peace to all who pass by!
- Chant the Om as a mantra along with Diaphragmic Breathing to enhance focus, reduce mental clutter, and raise your physical energy to tackle any difficult endeavor!
- Use the Om to deepen meditation. The vibration from its utterance will bring you instant tranquility!
- Draw or put a sticker of the Om symbol on anything in your life that occurs as “stressful” for you: car, checkbook, computer, scale, mirror, etc. The Om will be a constant reminder that Universal peace is available to you in every moment of every day!
- Visit Earth Lore for Om music, pendants, stickers, journals, books, rings, t-shirts, mantra cards, and much more!