Whether you are new to the realm of oracle card reading, or you own every deck the infamous Doreen Virtue has ever published; this quick guide is meant to give beginners and seasoned readers alike a more meaningful, decisive card reading. Try these tips with self-readings and service readings for others. Take time practicing your own variations on these tips. With a little patience and a little practice, you will find a reading regimen that works best for you!
CHOOSING A DECK
There are many ways to choose an Angel Card deck. The trick is to find the way that works for YOU. No one method is better than the next when it comes to making such a personal decision…and choosing your deck is a very personal decision. Try not to be swayed by the input of others. Here are some tips when shopping for your Angel Card deck. Following these tips will help insure you get the best deck for your needs, that works best with your energy.
- Choose to buy your deck on the new moon of the month. Energy will be high for new beginnings and manifesting future dreams on that day.
- Take time in the days leading up to the new moon to meditate on choosing your deck. As you meditate, visualize yourself finding the perfect deck. See yourself find the deck that has been waiting for you. Ask your Angels and Spirit Guides to unite you with your perfect deck.
- It is highly recommended that you shop alone for your deck on this day. This will allow you the peace and personal time you will need to make the best choice.
- More than one deck may call out to you as you are shopping on the new moon. You may need to step away for a moment to meditate. Center yourself and call on your Angels again to help you choose wisely.
- Hold each deck that calls to you in your hands. Close your eyes for a moment with each one and feel its energy. If you get tingles, feel heat throughout your body or just in your hands, if you start feeling emotional, or if you see an Angel appear in your mind’s eye, this may be the deck for you!
- Choose the deck from which you receive the most spiritual feedback.
Keep in mind, these tips will work whether you are doing a personal or service reading. However, additional steps are recommended for better accuracy when giving readings to another person (a service reading). As soon as you open your new Angel Card deck, be sure to cleanse it with white sage, and prepare a safe and cleansed space to store it. A bag or box with clear quartz and a few white sage leaves inside is highly recommended! Once your deck is cleansed and has a proper home, it is ready to be programmed and used.
- Using white sage, cleanse a quite, comfortable space to do your reading. Clear the space of clutter and distractions. Turn off your phone.
- Lay a special cloth over the space where you will spread your cards. The cloth may be of any material or pattern, as long as it is meaningful to you. (Note: if you are doing a service reading, you may want to substitute with a cloth chosen by the patron of your service.)
- Do not clutter your reading space. You may choose to burn one white candle (or any color you feel you need). You may place a sentimental object in the reading space as well: a picture of the person you will be inquiring about, an item from a deceased loved one, or a token of gratitude to your Angel helpers!
- Before you begin shuffling, hold the deck in your hands and program it with a prayer of intention. You may want to cleanse and reprogram your deck every time you use it, as your need for guidance may change from reading to reading. Your prayer of intention may be as simple or complex as you wish, but make sure it is focused and precise. Pray to the Angels to give you the best guidance for the situation about which you will soon inquire. Always close your prayer with a word of gratitude for whatever guidance you will receive.
- Choose your questions wisely! Always ask for guidance for the highest good of all involved. Refrain from phrasing asking questions which promote the “commanding of” or “forcing your will upon” others. Do not let your ego get in the way of pure Angelic guidance. You may need to do a short breathing exercise and meditation before you ask your question. This will help you ask the right questions, resulting in helpful guidance for the highest good of all involved. Keep shuffling until the right question comes to you. Ask the question aloud 3 times.
- Place the deck on your cloth. Cut the deck once, then draw the cards for your layout from the top of the deck (I highly recommend the 3-card “Past, Present, Future” layout). You are now ready to start interpreting!
- Use your intuition along with the included guidebook for your specific deck. If you are having trouble interpreting the card layout, ask your Angel helpers for one “clarify-er” card. Draw one addition card and place it above your layout for additional guidance.
- Keep a blank journal, and pen handy in case you wish to write any notes down from your reading.
- Be sure to thank the Angels for their help before closing your reading.
I hope these little tips help you get the maximum divine guidance from every reading you do for yourself and others!